Saturday, January 10, 2015

"Blokus" Out Some Time For This Strategy Game

Just over a week late...The first week back teaching after winter break nearly kicked our butts! But now we are back in the swing of things (Krystal writes after sleeping almost the entire day).  Today we decided to review a game that is pure strategy. 


Blokus is a 2-4 player game; we recently played it with another couple for the first time, and it is definitely even better with 4 players. Each player gets 21 pieces made up of little blocks (think Tetris-style, but every piece looks different) in a different color. For the two-player game, each person plays two colors. The goal is to get as many of your blocks out on the board, while blocking your opponents.  The catch? You can only connect your pieces on the corners.

Krystal's Review:
I completely randomly staged this.
I discovered this game when I was tutoring at a math center, but none of the little kids ever wanted to play. My sister was getting rid of her copy, so I got this for free. I love this game when I'm in the mood for strategy. It's relatively quick--about 30 minutes if you make quick decisions (closer to an hour if you're a brooder like Michael). It gets very competitive toward the end, and I'm still trying to figure out whether defense or offense is the best way to go. Plus the pieces are in four pretty colors!
Playability: 5 (easy to understand, easy set-up)
Fun: 4 (I get a bit too competitive on this game)
Krystal's Total: 11 out of 15

Michael's Review:
I didn't really like this game the first few times we played (shhh, don't tell Krystal...she didn't know that 'til now) but the game grows on you. The game is easily explainable to everyone, including young children (ages 5+ as printed on the box), and yet it leaves room for technical and strategic game-play, which I love. The game reminds me of Chinese checkers with a modern twist. We've played Blokus several times but the game keeps you coming so you can beat your previous best. This game comes highly recommended to those who love strategy, blocky things, and neon colors.
Cost: 3.5 (the price of two movie dates)
Playability: 
Fun: 3.5 (I don't always consider war fun.)
Michael's Total: 12 out 15 

Blokus' Grand Total: 23 out of 30!





No comments:

Post a Comment